Home Forums* Womens Ministries Women in the ministry – When you’re told it’s wrong.

last updated by Jim Randall, LH Admin 8 months, 2 weeks ago
6 voices
11 replies
  • Author
      Jim Randall, LH Admin
      Participant
        • *State: North Carolina
        • *City: Lewisville
        • *Primary Interest in Ministry. : Chaplain

Hello all;

I am curious to know what each of you would say to someone who thinks or tells you that women preachers and ministers do not belong in the church in general. I would like to know how you (as a women) defend, or assert yourself concerning the matter.
        Thank you for sharing.
        yiC

Vanessa Abarca
        Participant
          • *State: TX
          • *City: New Braunfels
          • *Primary Interest in Ministry. : Prison Minister

Hello,

When I have questions I go to the Bible; while there are several women in the scriptures that are relevant and highly esteemed NO where does the Bible state a woman Pastored or taught publicly or became a spiritual leader of a congregation of saints.

God chose special women like Mariam, Deborah and Huldah in the Old Testament for special service to Him and stand as wonderful models of faith and courage. Many women excel in gifts of hospitality, mercy, teaching, evangelism, and helping/serving. Much of the ministry of the local church depends on women. Women in the church are not restricted from public praying or prophesying (1 Corinthians 11:5), only from having spiritual teaching authority over men. The Bible nowhere restricts women from exercising the gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12). Women, just as much as men, are called to minister to others, to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22–23), and to proclaim the gospel to the lost (Matthew 28:18–20; Acts 1:8; 1 Peter 3:15).

God has ordained that only men are to serve in positions of spiritual teaching authority in the church. This is not because men are necessarily better teachers or because women are inferior or less intelligent (which is not the case). It is simply the way God designed the church to function. Men are to set the example in spiritual leadership—in their lives and through their words. Women are to take a less authoritative role. Women are encouraged to teach other women (Titus 2:3–5). The Bible also does not restrict women from teaching children. The only activity women are restricted from is teaching or having spiritual authority over men. This precludes women from serving as pastors to men. This does not make women less important, by any means, but rather gives them a ministry focus more in agreement with God’s plan and His gifting of them.

Glory be to God our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Latonya Welch
            Participant
              • *State: Texas
              • *City: Allen
              • *Primary Interest in Ministry. : Evangelist

Greetings,

This is always a controversial topic however I think that this is a discussion that should be revisited often. We all (men and women) have been given the commission to go and make disciples.  It is our duty to preach the Word of God and utilize our spiritual gifts by the power of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is at hand therefore operating from a fleshly standpoint in thinking that women do not have authority to be spiritual leaders can be detrimental to the Body of Christ.

Galatians 3:28 says “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor male and female, for you are all one in Jesus Christ.” Men and women have been created to have specific roles however, when it comes to the Kingdom of God, one is not above the other. Look at Acts 18 24-26 where both Pricilla and Aquila took Apollos into their home and taught him together. I wonder why didn’t Priscilla excuse herself, go make some tea to serve, while the guys spoke? She must have had something to add in educating this man. I also think it’s noteworthy to mention that the Bible names her first and not her husband (which could imply that she was the head of their ministry)

The Apostle Paul makes mention of a few female leaders throughout his letters in the New Testament. One in particular that stands out is in Roman’s 16:7 Andronicus and Junia ( although it is not stated, are believed to be husband and wife). Paul refers to them both as being outstanding Apostles and said they were in Christ before himself. This implies that Junia was an Apostle and was in ministry before he converted.

Women have vital roles in the Body of Christ just as the men do. Yes, there are instances in the Bible where women have been restricted from teaching as Vanessa has mentioned however, we must remember that those instructions were for those women in those churches that were being addressed. When  Paul was addressing the congregation in 1 Corinthians 14:35-35 he was speaking of the disruptive women in the church at that time as he clearly talks about women praying and prophesying earlier in church in Chapter 11.

This is a great subject to study and seek counsel from the Lord. I think it will continue to be an ongoing discussion until the end of time.

Jim Randall, LH Admin
                Participant

Very well stated sister – this subject has obviously crossed your path in times past, and you have a really nice, solid, perspective on it.

Enjoyed reading this!

yiC

Jim Randall, LH Admin
              Participant

Wonderful information Vanessa. Thank you for sharing!
                I’m hoping more folks will provide information as well.
                Thanks again,
                yiC

Jessica Arrizon
                Participant
                  • *State: Virginia
                  • *City: Forest

I don’t know if there are others who have a perspective on this topic. I would love to hear additional thoughts.

Jim Randall, LH Admin
                    Participant

So nice to see someone willing to learn and increase their personal knowledge sister. I am curious what your thoughts on the subject are, should you care to share them.

yiC

Jessica Arrizon
                    Participant
                      • *State: Virginia
                      • *City: Forest

I don’t know if there are others who have a perspective on this topic. I would love to hear additional thoughts.

Reese Ferguson
                      Participant
                        • *State: Georgia
                        • *City: Savannah
                        • *Primary Interest in Ministry. : Evangelist

Hi Everyone,
                        <p style=”text-align: left;”>I was that female preacher who was told it was wrong of me to minister. Not just because I am a woman but because I was raped, I was a teenage mother, I had been divorced, I have tattoos, my hair is loc’d.. I wasn’t traditional enough. But thanks be to God that ministry also occurs outside the four walls. However, I did have a conversation with leadership and expressed how one verse isn’t the entire chapter. People tend to take a verse and determine the chapter meaning based solely on verse one. Verse one does have meaning but it doesn’t provide full context to the entire scriptural meaning. I also reminded them that the Bible says “Gifts and callings are WITHOUT repentance” Romans 11:29. Meaning that God called Reese. Reese and her tattoos, Reese and her locs, Reese and her traumatized childhood, Reese and being a mother of 5, Reese and her insecurities… Just Reese. And He wasn’t taking it back. That was the day, I decided that NOTHING and NO ONE was going to hold me back…</p>

Jim Randall, LH Admin
                          Participant

Wonderful testimony sister! As long as you are moved by the Spirit with the Lord in your heart, let him open and close the proper doors for you to walk through.

yiC

Connie Capach-Ruger
                          Participant
                            • *City: Elizabethtown
                            • *Primary Interest in Ministry. : Pastor

God does use women in ministry as well as men. I am one. I follow where God leads me.

Galatians 3:28 there is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Also in John 4 is the story of the women at the well. Her encounter with Jesus changed her life. She left her water pots and went into the city and told all about Jesus. She was the first female evangelist in the bible. God used this story to set me free. I now follow God in the ministry with all my heart. My goal is to help Him build His kingdom.

I am a pastor and help minister in other churches as well. Where he leads I will follow. Just like other female Pastors, Evangelist, Teachers. I would encourage all women called to just follow Him wherever He will lead you. What an honor to serve our risen savior. It should be joy to us.

Jim Randall, LH Admin
                              Participant

Good word sister – the woman at the well was actually the first person that Jesus had told about being the savior. (outside of his constituents).

As you say, following the Spirit is the critical passage in one’s life to lead you.

yiC

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.