Ordained Minister’s Online Guide to Pastoring, Personal Development, & Church Leadership
By M. Mooney, Ministry Practitioner
The goals of a Christian Minister or Leader are:
1) To help others discover and develop their gifts
2) To guide others to a heart of service
The leader (in any organization) should be a facilitator. One who empowers others to reach their highest competence and potential.
What you will gain by using this Biblical approach to leadership:
Leading people gives you the opportunity to grow by changing the human tendency to shun people who are not like ourselves.
I appeal to your spiritual leaders. I make this appeal as a spiritual leader who also witnessed Christ’s sufferings and will share in the glory that will be revealed. Be shepherds over the flock God has entrusted to you. Watch over it as God does: Don’t do this because you have to, but because you want to. Don’t do it out of greed, but out of a desire to serve. Don’t be rulers over the people entrusted to you, but be examples for the flock to follow. Then, when the chief shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. (1Pe 5:1-4)
Peter points out two important things:
1) Don’t do this because you have to, but because you want to. The Minister’s or Leader’s attitude is everything!
2) Don’t be rulers over the people entrusted to you, but be examples for the flock to follow. Ordained Ministers and Christian Leaders are to empower people, as opposed to exercising power over them.
Questions to ponder:
* What is one way in which a leader can help someone discover their gifting without making it obvious that they are being "lead" in the direction of personal growth?
* What does it mean to guide others to a heart of service (in the church and in the business world)?
Leaders and Ministers -one in the same
Jesus on Management
Members Participating in the Leadership Development Program may follow this link to discuss this article.
All rights reserved
National Association of Christian Ministers (NACM) www.nacministers.com