Profile Photo

MENS MINISTRIES

• Public Group
  • 4 days, 1 hour ago

Let’s Talk — Any one have a discussion group topic

National Association of Christian Ministers ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Forums MENS MINISTRIES Let’s Talk — Any one have a discussion group topic

4 voices
18 replies
  • Author
      Edgar Hariston, Elder Nc

Are any of you interested in taking part in a small group study focused on leading and inspiring men?  The idea is to post a topic/statement for discussion.  The main topic post will be left up for a week or two so all have time to respond then the moderator will present a brief summary post of what was gathered by the responses and move on to post the next weeks topic/statement.  I’d like to have at least every one reply to two other members post so we get some good discussion started.  Thinking a six to eight week study would be interesting.  Then someone else can lead a study and so on.

What are your thoughts?

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Hello

I believe that would be an excellent idea! I’ll check back in a day or so to see if there are any other plans to move forward.

Brother Anthony

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Hello

Just checking to see if the idea brother Hariston took root. Will check back again soon.

God bless

Brother Anthony

Edgar Hariston, Elder Nc

Thanks for your input Brother Anthony.  Looking to see if we can get a few more to show some interest so me can kick off a discussion/ study.

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Edgar and Anthony,

A discussion group such as this can be a great place for interaction. Therefore, I will jump in with a topic to make us think a little bit…perhaps get something going!

Here is my question. In 1 Corinthians 11 there is a comment made in verse 7 which states man (in this case the male specifically) is the “glory” of God. For the sake of discussion, what is your understanding of the male being called the “glory” of God?

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Hello everyone.

It has to do with ranking. What some a theocratic order. Man is the created image and glory of God in the sense that he was created first. Woman is part of the glory also, but in the ranking, she is the glory of man. Both are representatives of this honor, but the woman must not look to usurp his position. Man is the very image of created dominon and woman being birthed from that is an image of man’s dominion. Remember, an example of this dominion was shown in Adams naming of species. This before Eve was physically formed.

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Anthony,

That is a great observation! Expressing this in terms of ranking is interesting and something I had not though of in just that way. I very much appreciate the comment. It will certainly add to my own understanding.

I have an observation I’ll throw out. It is a short story example I like to use when explaining something about my understanding of what it means to be God’s glory:

<span dir=”ltr”><span class=”_3l3x _1n4g”>I want you to imagine a particular scenario with me. You may have experienced this yourself or at least will relate to the circumstances. Picture yourself walking into the living room of an older couple. Now suppose the couple is not present and they have lived in the home for many years. What do you see? Visualize the room. What is apparent to you? In my mind, I see some photos on the wall of their family. Perhaps children, grandchildren, even great grandchildren are displayed prominently. Next to those is a wedding picture of the couple. Obviously it is old, slightly faded, but displayed with much care. On another wall are some pictures of the old gentleman’s military career. He is in uniform and standing next to the country’s flag. Perhaps a medal or two are pinned onto that uniform. What else do you see? Of course, there are a few knick knacks on the shelves. They probably come from a favorite vacation spot or perhaps they were gifts from friends or family that mean a lot to the couple. There might be a cabinet with the “special occasion” china in plain view. That’s the good stuff to be used at Christmas time or Easter. Their whole life is displayed in that room. The more you look, the more you see. There are awards, hobbies, career mementos, its all there, right before your eyes, for you to look at. After a while, you could get the feeling you know these people fairly well…even if you don’t. What is happening here? In reality, you are seeing the things they want to display to the world about themselves. The things they are proud of. The things they “glory” in. Yes, that’s right. You are seeing their “glory”.

Now the lesson I want you to understand is this. In some fashion, you are God’s glory! If you walked into his living room, His greatest creation, the thing He is most proud of, would be displayed. That’s you! That’s mankind. Specifically, the Bible says man is the glory of God. It speaks of the male, the man, Adam. But there is more. Scripture goes on to tell us woman is the glory of man! Think about it. Everything that is good about God is displayed in the male. And God didn’t stop there. Everything God put in the man, everything which makes all of creation stand in wonder at God’s creation, man, is shown forth in the woman!

That’s Glory! Glory is the outward demonstration of inward goodness…the manifestation of the intrinsic character…the exhibiting of all that God is. Glory is God on display.</span></span>

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Hello.

I believe we’re saying the same thing just differently. The man who chooses to live righteously will put on righteousness (Romans 13:14) and thus display God’s glory. Isaiah 43:7 states that

“Everyone who is called by My name,
      And whom I have created for My glory,
      Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.”

We know that all men don’t live righteously and therefore God’s glory is suppressed due the sin they chose to partake in. Doesn’t mean that the potential to be God’s glory isn’t there, but it remains dormant until they choose to repent, obey, and love God through Christ properly. Those same people in the pics may not have lived for Christ at all. Pics are only a still image. His faith and subsequent works in action will confirm his ability glorify God.

Brother Anthony

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Yes, Anthony, I too see we are speaking of the same thing and approaching it from our individual perspectives. That is what sharing together does. It causes us to gain from one another! I have enjoyed this discussion and will be returning to it. I must get busy with a few other things at the moment but look forward to continuing at a later time. Hopefully, maybe a few others will get involved as well. May you be blessed continual!!

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Good Morning brother Dirk!

Such a good discussion yesterday though brief. I look forward to more brothers joining us in the short term. Gleaning from one another is very important and this is the first forum in a long time in which I have found the ability to do so. All of us should take the time to do so as much as possible. Another tool we can use to remain aligned with Christ.

“Jesus said to him “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one sees the Father but through Me. If you had Known me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.” (John 14:6-7)

Have a blessed day

Brother Anthony

Anthony Davis
      Participant

Hello brother Hariston

No worries. Brother Dirk started a conversation yesterday. Look forward to hearing from you and others soon.

Brother Anthony

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Good morning to all!

Brother Anthony and I had a discussion yesterday. I would encourage anyone checking out this group to add their comment as well. It primarily dealt with the male being the glory of God. However, add to that or take it wherever you feel led. I am sure someone will reply and the discussion can continue.

Today I read Anthony’s greeting above where he referenced John 14:6-7. Among other topics, the scripture mentions “knowing” God. There are plenty of other passages which do the same. 1 John 4:7-8 is another place. There, John writes if someone does not “love” they don’t “know” God. Again, in Matthew 7:22-23 Jesus replies to those who say they have done works in his name. He tells them to depart since he never “knew” them. So…this is my topic today. What is the difference between “knowing” God and “knowing about” God?

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

To me, “knowing” God and “knowing about” God differ in the same way that I “know” my wife but “know about” my friend’s or neighbor’s wife. Knowing God is an intimate experience. A new believer can “know” God while a lifetime theologian might only “know about” God. I live close to Springfield, Illinois. There is an excellent Abraham Lincoln museum there. Several people involved with it have given their entire career to the study about Lincoln. It is possible they know things about Lincoln that he never knew himself. They know much “about” him. However, I guarantee you none of them “know” Lincoln like we are to “know” God since Lincoln has departed this world long before any of them were born. But we have a savior that is alive! We can “know” Him like a husband knows his wife…intimately.

Edgar Hariston, Elder Nc

Great discussion gentlemen. Thanks for starting a discussion brother Dirk.

Yes, when we look at it man is the glory of God on so many different levels. First we can start with verse 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. So we reference the hierarchy of creation. From the original statement of God from Geneses 1:27 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness, to rule to when he stated in verse 31 “And God looked upon all that He had made, and indeed, it was very good.” Paul’s statements provides a clarification to the church in Corinth. While we can continue from there in Genesis everything is for the glory of God, but in this context we can single out man as brother Anthony mentioned as being created first in the image of God.

The story brother Dirk, expresses the works of man. His life represented by the plaques and awards, the family photos of those he’s touched, and the items from fine china to nick knacks of places traveled. Show the owners glory so to speak. Just as our lives are to reflect the glory of the owner and author of our souls. We can look at it as each one of our lives and the things we do or have done are like the lines in a fingerprint. Each curve, break, and swirl represents and identify us and so much more. Just as our lives represent so much of who we are and who we belong too.

When we try to live righteously and try or are willing to put on righteousness as Romans 13:14 reflects we thus display God’s glory. While we all know that we have fallen short of HIS glory we profess strive to be pleasing in God’s sight.

Edgar Hariston, Elder Nc

Alright, Brother Dirk a good transition to a new topic. Know of or knowing God. That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death. Phil 3:10.

What are thoughts on as men how do we negate the power of his resurrection or sharing his suffering?

Edgar Hariston, Elder Nc

Alright, Brother Dirk a good transition to a new topic. Know of or knowing God. That I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death. Phil 3:10.

What are thoughts on as men how do we negate the power of his resurrection or sharing his suffering?

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Hello Edgar! I look forward to any topic someone would post. I encourage anyone to suggest a topic and we will use it for discussion.

Daniel Halkyard
      Participant

Most definitely interested! Lets get started

Dirk Lefler
      Participant

Ok…for any who would like to discuss…I will propose one today. What is your best definition of God’s “Love”?

Your definition doesn’t have to be long. Of course, that is up to you and how much time you want to spend. I’ll start off by saying:

The best definition I have is to understand God’s Love as “commitment”. God is 100% committed to the the good of that which He is said to “love”. Additionally, God is the one who defines what is “good”. Therefore, I often replace the word “love” in scripture with something similar to “commitment to good”. An example would be …husbands, love your wives… (Eph 5:25)…being understood as husbands, “be 100% committed to the good of” your wife.

Viewing love as commitment helps me to understand how I can “love” someone that I don’t particularly like. Commitment can be completely separate from emotions. I can be committed to someone’s good without agreeing with their actions, views, etc., just as God is 100% committed to the good of mankind even though he saw all had gone astray.

That is my definition. What’s yours?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Groups Tutorial

Opens in a new window.
Opens in a new window.
description

This fellowship group is for those interested in and engaging in MEN’S MINISTRIES: fellowship here, share ideas, pray for one another!

Use the LINKS in the group’s white TOOLBAR (above) to access these features:

HOME: post brief greetings, comments, updates, or ask questions; others can reply to your post.

INFO: you’re presently on the INFO webpage: introduces the theme of the group

MEDIA: where you can post a picture, article or video (subject to admin approval)

FORUM: for posting DISCUSSIONS: room for multiple responses

CHAT: for real time conversation with members presently online

MEMBERS: list of all members in this group; provides means for connecting

GALLERY (if there is one): relevant documents/articles for this particular group

Group Administrators

Updates